Classic/Antique Car Repair/95 Chevy Beretta

Question
Hi & thank you for volunteering your time to provide this service -I do appreciate it.

I inherited my great uncle's 95 Chevy Beretta with 61K orig miles.  It's in mint condition inside & out & never saw winter.  I'm driving it of necessity and want to take good care of it.  I know back in that era in the 90's cars weren't as sturdy & solid as today's.  One thing I especially am concerned about is maintaining the transmission.  It has no problems whatsoever at this point.  But I'm wondering if I should have it "tuned up" or at least have the fluid changed?  What's your opinion?  One mechanic told me if there are no problems and the transmission has never been serviced, then leave it alone so as not to actually create a problem with it.  I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this, as well as any other extra-important maintenance that you might think is a good idea with this vehicle.

Thanks again,

Frank

Answer
Hi Frank:
As a standard rule...

1. Oil should be changed every 3,000 or 6 months, which ever come first.
2. Transmission fluid should be changed every 20,000 miles or 2 years, which ever come first.
3.  Anti-Freeze should be changed every 20,000 miles or 2 years, which ever come first.

Other Fluids (Brake fluid, Power Steering Fluid and differential Oil) Every 90,000 miles or 5 years.

These are all your major fluids that should be looked after as scheduled. The advice to "leave it alone" is not a very smart recommendation. Once transmission fluid gets dirty and hot, the gears will grind the metal off and eventually ruin your transmission. if it haven't been changed in 60,000 miles, Pull the transmission dip stick. if the color is bright red, it has been changed. If the color is a light or dark brown, I suggest you change it ASAP.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock