Classic/Antique Car Repair/Maintenance Question

Hi & thank you for providing this service.  I inherited my great uncle's 1995 chevy beretta in absolutely mint condition with only 61K orig miles.  Garaged winters.  I'd like to maintain it as best I can and there's something I'm wondering about.  Back in those days I don't think the Beretta & Corsica lasted too much longer after 100K miles.  My uncle had the head gasket replaced, so that's not going to be a problem.  I'm wondering about the transmission, though --should I do any maintenance to it -- even just have the fluid changed ---- or should I just leave it alone.  It has no problem whatsoever now, but I want to try and keep it that way.  Please let me know your opinion on this and any other maintenance items I should attend to with this car from that particular era when cars weren't as sturdy as today's.  Thank you!  FRank Saia

On this car where you know the history and the mileage I would personally leave the transmission alone as long as the fluid on the dip stick is clear and does not smell burned. As far AS OTHER MAINTENANCE i WOULD CHECK THE OWNERS MANUAL AND FOLLOW ITS RECOMMENDATIONS.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.