Classic/Antique Car Repair/electrical problem 1950 dodge b2b

Question
I accidentally connected the 6v battery backwards. the truck started then, but now there is nothing. no lights, turn signals, it will not turn over. Have i killed this truck?

Answer
No you have not killed the truck. But there is a procedure that should bring it back to life. First we need to get the battery charged to the correct polarity. To do this completely discharge the battery. Then connect a charger to the battery is the proper polarity. Do the charge while the battery cable are disconnected from the truck. Then turn off all the accessories and the ignition key. Connect the positive cable, thus one now should be the one connected to the ground, the frame or the engine block.  net disconnect the B terminal from the voltage regulator. Then install the other battery cable. You should now have headlights. If not check the wiring and then have the battery tested, it might be fried. If the battery is ok now flash the wire that was connected to the B terminal to the B terminal (flash means momentary contact). If there is a spark the voltage regulator points are shorted and a new voltage regulator is in order. If this is the case I would remove the generator and make sure that it has not been damaged. Once the new regulator and the generator check out reconnect the B terminal, there should be no spark. Net disconnect the F wire and momentarily touch it to the B terminal. This will polarize the system. The truck should start run and charge.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears