Classic/Antique Car Repair/Dash light

QUESTION: On instrument panel in 1930 A deluxe roadster I wanted to know if the headlights turned on this light as well?
If so and light does not come on and lamp is working I would need to remove the instrument cover to check wiring and connections, besides the screws holding this panel on how does this get removed to check wiring?
Thank you.

ANSWER: The light switch does not control the panel light.  It is lit, only by pushing to lamp cover inward and twisting it to keep it there.  Take the panel off and see what is happening.  Should be easy to fix.  

QUESTION: Jack thanks so much just want to know I took the four screws out of the instrument panel what else needs to come off of that to get behind it. also since I am a new model a owner your instructional videos were very helpful thank you

ANSWER: Just pull it back.  The speedo cable is attached and you may have to work it a little.  

Found the black wire for light unattached and connected to yellow/black tracer wire on the amp meter and light works but will not turn off. Anything I need to look at here with regard to on/off? Also seems as if amp meter is not reading properly
Thanks again.

All you need is power to the black light wire, and you have that.  From here, the switch to turn it off is by turning it counterclockwise and pulling it back a bit.  The cover will come off if you pull too hard, but the light should go off.  This should have nothing to do with the ammeter.   Keep playing with it.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.