Classic Film/50's movie

I only have a vague recollection of a movie that I saw as a kid in the 80's. It's set in a basement where a couple of people work, one woman is at a telephone (or perhaps a telephone exchange) ordering sheet music and often talking about "opus", so I guess it's about classical music. As far as I remember, it's more of a comedy than a drama.
That's all I remember... hope you can help!

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your Question.  I'm pretty sure I've got your answer.  Back in the 1950's and '60s, before there were answering machines and voice-mail, many people depended on "answering services", where telephone operators would take messages for clients, and than report them at the end of the day.
A big Broadway musical was based on this idea,...and then it was made into a film musical by MGM,..
in 1960,...entitled "Bells Are Ringing", starring Judy Holliday and Dean Martin. In the film, Judy worked for a service called "Susanswer-phone" in a NY basement type office.  Unwittingly,..she took orders for phonograph records ...( this was before cassettes and CDs)...not knowing that she was actually taking illegal bets on racing horses.  Anyway, was all in fun;..and you can see a short clip of it on Youtube, at:
You can also read a synopsis of the story at:   and order it from Amazon.

Jim K.

Classic Film

Jim Kason

Questions on classic films of the late 30's, 40's and 50's, especially the musicals.

Started going to films with my parents when I was two,..and when growing up..I usually saw 4 movies a week! I especially loved the musicals.

BA in "Speech and Drama" San Jose State Univ. MFA in "Theatre Arts/Acting" tanford Univ.