Classic Film/Old B&W movie with character Jim Nolan

Could you please tell me the name of a movie I saw today on TV. It is set in a city at Christmas time when the father, whose name is Jim Nolan, is home with a wife (Her name was Kate ) and two School aged children, and she finds out she's pregnant. They are very poor, and he is looking for work. He disappears and then ends up dying. I missed the beginning and the end of the film, but it appeared that he had had a drinking problem in the past. The wife seemed bitter.

I did not recognize any of the actors, other than a family friend there at Christmas time with blond hair… I have seen her in later shows possibly even TV shows but I can't remember where.

Thank you so much!

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your question.  Yes,…I know exactly which film you're asking about.  It was a very popular and successful film from
20th Century Fox in 1945,…"A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" (adapted from a well-loved novel by Betty Smith.)   It starred Dorothy McGuire as Kate, and James Dunn ( who won the Academy Award) as Johnny, with Peggy Ann Garner as the daughter, Francie.
For the complete story line and info,….go to:
It's available on DVD at

Jim K.

Classic Film

Jim Kason

Questions on classic films of the late 30's, 40's and 50's, especially the musicals.

Started going to films with my parents when I was two,..and when growing up..I usually saw 4 movies a week! I especially loved the musicals.

BA in "Speech and Drama" San Jose State Univ. MFA in "Theatre Arts/Acting" tanford Univ.