Classic Film/Trying to find title of movie based on plot

A friend asked me this but I know I haven't ever seen this movie based on the description, perhaps you will know?

It is an old black & white. A lady is sick and is going to die, but her husband does not know. He leaves for a business trip and they kiss goodbye. She plants daffodil bulbs along the walkway, knowing they will bloom in the spring for him. She goes back inside and lays on the bed to die.

Hello Brandi,

Sorry for the delay in this reply, but I was looking for material to send you.  Yes, I Definitely know the film you're referring to.  You've described the closing minutes of the film, which is one of my all-time favorite melodramas,.released by Warner Brothers in 1939, "Dark Victory" starring Bette Davis in one of her greatest roles.  It also starred George Brent and Geraldine fitzgerald, ( and in smaller roles, a very young Humphrey Bogart and Ronald Reagan ! )
You can read the full synopsis of the film, with additional interesting info at:
And, you can purchase it on DVD (either separately, or in several collections) at:

Jim K.

Classic Film

Jim Kason

Questions on classic films of the late 30's, 40's and 50's, especially the musicals.

Started going to films with my parents when I was two,..and when growing up..I usually saw 4 movies a week! I especially loved the musicals.

BA in "Speech and Drama" San Jose State Univ. MFA in "Theatre Arts/Acting" tanford Univ.