Classic Film/Name of movie

Question
My sister and I saw a " Cinderella" type movie in '75. Instead of a fairy godmother, she had a tree planted from seeds given to her by her father I think. Anyway when she wanted a dress for the ball she went to the tree and said something like " shiver shiver little tree gold and silver shower on me" then the tree would magically produce the dress. Thank you for any help

Answer
Hello Alma,

I'm a little bit confused by your question. The line you quote is very similar to a line in the original Cinderella story by the Brothers Grimm.......

"But the step-mother said, 'You cannot go with us, for you have no clothes and can not dance. We should be ashamed of you.' On this she turned her back on Cinderella, and hurried away with her two proud daughters.

As no one was now at home, Cinderella went to her mother's grave beneath the hazel-tree, and cried, "Shiver and quiver, little tree, Silver and gold throw down over me."

Then the bird threw a gold and silver dress down to her, and slippers embroidered with silk and silver. She put on the dress with all speed, and went to the wedding.'

The line found it's way into a musical by Stephen Sondheim called "Into The Woods", but this musical wasn't produced until 1986.......

[NARRATOR]
Deep within the woods, Cinderella had planted a branch at the grave of her Mother.
And she visited there so often and wept so much That her tears watered it until it
had become a magnificent tree.

[CINDERELLA]
I've been good and I've been kind, Mother,
Doing only what I learned from you.
Why then am I left behind, Mother,
Is there something more that I should do?
What is wrong with me, Mother?
Something must be wrong.
I wish......

[CINDERELLA'S MOTHER]
Do you know what you wish?
Are you certain what you wish is what you want?
if you know what you want, then make a wish.
Ask the tree and you shall have your wish.

[CINDERELLA]
Shiver and quiver, little tree,
Silver and gold throw down on me.
I'm off to get my wish...

A film adaptation starring Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, Tracey Ullman and Johnny Depp was released in 2014.

Cinderella, as a character, has appeared in literally hundreds of films and TV series over the years and, to be honest, you could have seen any one of these that may have contained that line. Unfortunately I cannot recall or locate one that would have been at the cinema in 1975. The closest one to that date was "The Slipper and the Rose" from 1976, but, as far as I remember, that was based more on the traditional Fairy Godmother version and not on the original story.

As I said at the beginning, I'm a little bit confused as to what film it is that you are remembering, and I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.  

Classic Film

Mel