Classic Film/do you know the title?

Question
i saw a movie as a child, on tv, and want to find it again.

it is set on a mansion on a beach, where a young boy and girl find a baby turtle. the girl swims out with the turtle and returns years later with this giant turtle.

i saw it in the 1970s
please help

jeff

Answer
Hello Jeff,

The only one I can think of that comes close to your description is a TV film from 1978 called "The Bermuda Depths". It starred Burl Ives, Leigh McCloskey, Carl Weathers and Connie Sellecca.

STORYLINE: Magnus returns to his home in Bermuda (which he left after his father was mysteriously killed years before) and is reunited with Eric, an old friend who is learning about marine biology from an old scientist named Dr. Paulus. They end up investigating evidence of a giant turtle inhabiting the local waters.

Magnus also meets a mysterious, beautiful woman named Jennie Haniver, who turns out to have been a childhood playmate of his; in fact, heís still wearing the seashell necklace she gave him. The thing is, she only appears when heís alone, and even Eric tells Magnus that they believed Jennie was just an imaginary friend of his. He insists that she was real, and that he even carved his and Jennieís initials on the back of a turtle they played with.

Ericís wife explains that Jennie Haniver is a local Urban Legend: Two hundred years ago, a young woman whose ship sank in a storm in the Bermuda Triangle made a deal with the Devil so that she would survive. Naturally Magnus refuses to believe it is the same Jennie.

Eric becomes obsessed with catching the giant turtle and against all warnings uses a harpoon cannon on it. This just leads to the creature killing him and Dr. Paulus. Jennie is revealed as indeed being supernatural in the process. Magnus survives the incident however, and the film ends with Magnus leaving Bermuda.  

Classic Film

Mel