Classic Rock/Late 70's early 80's song info for "Make Me A Star"

Dan wrote at 2008-09-03 21:20:12
Toby Redd recorded "To be a Star" on the 1978 album titled "Homegrown".  This was a compilation of local Detroit bands put together by (then) rock station W4.  It received considerable air time on the local scene, but never went anywhere nationally.

The LP is still available occasionally on EBay.

Chuckgtheguy wrote at 2012-11-02 02:00:38
To Be A Star was on a "Homegrown" album from radio station WRIF in the late seventies. I can't find it either.  

Unknown JMO wrote at 2013-06-13 03:07:05
I was looking for a 80's song called "Make me a star" too, and I finally found it, but I discovered that song is from KC & The Sunshine Band:

Maybe it was the same song the guy was looking.

JGarzaCPA wrote at 2014-06-19 02:24:56
Funny to answer this question from 2008, but here's what I know.  You're right the band was Toby Redd from Detroit and the song is Make me a Star, but it was released on a album put out by a Detroit radio station WWWW or W4. The album was called Homegrown and featured other Detroit bands. I think I still have the album in my collection but I'd have to look  

Classic Rock

I can answer general questions about rock era bands, record labels they were on, and names of songs. Often I can tell the name of the record company that released a song, as well as the name of the song, and the year of release based on some of the lyrics. I grew up during the rock era and I am a musician myself, and always read the album and 45 info for production credits as well as lineups. One of the chat rooms I go to is quite amused at my ability to name a song along with it`s year of release and record label. I was also a record collector for years.