Classical Music/sinfoniette

Hope you can please help. Thirty years ago in music class I listened to a piece over and over. I still have it embellished in my mind. I'm trying to find this again but no luck. I think it was entitled Sinfoniette in d minor (but I'm not sure). I can't remember the composer. It was a piece that built to a great crescendo with pounding tympani at the end. It was one of the most dynamic pieces I ever heard. It just kept building and building. I've been trying to rediscover this for at least 10 yrs. I know I don't have much information to go on. Can you lead me in the right direction?
Thanks for any help.

What you describe sounds a lot like the last movement of Janacek's Sinfonietta. I googled it and couldn't see if it was in D minor, or any key for that matter, although it says the last movement STARTS OUT in Eb minor. I think the whole work is poly-tonal, not settled around any key.
Considering you remember it being in D minor, this probably isn't what you heard. Listen to it to find out @
Leoš Janáček (1854-1928): Sinfonietta, op. 60 [1926]

The last movement starts at about 18:16. If that's not it, I'm afraid I can't help you. You might enjoy this one anyways.

Good luck in your search, and happy listening!

Sorry for the delayed response.

Classical Music

Oshi Jager

I majored in music, and performed and recorded mostly classical music. Questions about classical style, performance and performance practices of the Renaissance to Classical era (ca. 1400 a.d. - 1830 a.d.) music are welcome, and I am well versed in other eras and styles. I have some experience in world music and jazz, but I have almost none in rock, rap, hip-hop, blues, pop, soul... so you should find someone else for good answers in those areas. My main interests and experience are in performance of brass instruments, and composition, form, and analysis of classical and modern music. This includes; trumpet, horn, and trombone technique, as well as tuba to a lesser extent; early instrument technique, performance, and embellishment - especially re. cornetto (early brass family); composition styles and theory. I am not willing to answer homework or assignment questions outright, but I am willing to lead you in the right direction if you are honestly willing to do your part. All other questions are welcome - if I don't know the answer, I will try my contacts, and if none of us do, I will let you know.

I have been playing trumpet since 1980 in school bands, and since 1988 in local and professional orchestras; studied music as a major at university from 1996-2003; composed and had performed many compositions for many different ensembles and in many different styles since 1996.

International Trumpet Guild

International Trumpet Guild

B.A. in Music from Humboldt State University, 2003