Classical Music/western and non-western classical music

Question
What defines classical music? I've been a fan of classical my whole life and recently I've gotten into Indian classical music which is very different from its Western counterpart (though equally beautiful in my opinion). Why are both of these styles under the classical label?

Answer
They are both called "classical" because they are considered the highest form of music in the culture.  When speaking of people like Mozart and Bach and knowing there may be readers from India, China, etc., insert =in the Western tradition= or =in the Western European tradition=.  Thus, no one is offended (implication: your culture has no classical music), and everyone understands you are speaking of classical music from England, France, Germany, etc.
mb

Classical Music

Martha Beth Lewis