Classical Music/Music analysis help

Question
Hello Marbeth!
I'm having some trouble analyzing "La Que Plus Lente" by Debussy for my diploma programme notes, I have to elaborate on tone colour but I do not know how to?

Thank you! :)
Kristi

Answer
I'd start by comparing Debussy with other composers of the same style/time period to see how Debussy compares/contrasts in tone color with that music; and the changes he makes in the practices of that time to arrive at colors that are uniquely his.  

Then I'd compare tone color among Debussy's own compositions.  

If you have time, discuss how Debussy's use of tone color influenced succeeding styles/composers.

I'd also talk about how the tone colors were "made."  Piano (pedal, etc.); orchestra (mutes, certain combinations of instruments, etc.).
mb

Classical Music

Martha Beth Lewis