Classical Music/piano performance

Hi, I wanted to ask a question about performance.
I'm a pianist and I've played it for four or five years, but its the first time that I'm having a concert.I feel so stressed_out performing in front of people and my hands start shaking, but its too important to me that it hours well and I also have a piano exam some months later that is so important...the pieces I'm going to perform are hard and ness concentration.could you give me some advice?
How can I perform them perfectly?
Is there any way to reduce the stresses and have a good performance?
I will be glad if you can help me!
thanks a lot.

First of all, your pieces won't be perfect.  The only person who is able to create a perfect performance is Jesus Christ!  So, plan to drop at least 5% of your notes.  Pros do it, too.  Perhaps you have listened to Horowitz's performance of a Bach prelude (ack! on piano!) in the Busoni transcription.  He starts with an undeniable error.  The story goes he decided to leave it in the recording to prove he makes mistakes, too, no matter his rep.  So, perfect it ain't gonna be.  Don't worry about it.

You will find loads of information on my homepage:  marthabeth dot com
Go to the pedagogy and parents/students sections for files on stage fright, memorization, adults and recitals, and so on.  There are also QA pages for those areas, too (check their separate front doors), in which I answer questions (like yours!).

Start with all of this.  (Your eyes will bug out in fatigue, I'm guessing, at the wealth of info there.)  If you have further questions, let me know, but please do read all that I have to say on my site.

Here's a starter idea:  Don't play anything that hasn't been in your repertoire for a year.  (That means "finished", not the "just starting" stage.)

Best wishes.  You can do this!

Classical Music

Martha Beth Lewis

I have a PhD in musicology, with expertise in medieval - Renaissance - Baroque - Classical periods, but I'll try to help you with any period.

>>*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****<<: I do not answer questions marked "private." I don't want to type the same thing to someone else later if I typed it to you already! If you mark your request "private," I will send it back to you requesting you to remove the "private" flag. Thanks for your understanding. Remember, I'm a volunteer.

My answers are not toss-offs. If I don't know the answer, I will do my best to find it.

I have many requests to identify a piece of music. If I can't identify it, I will tell you (1) what composer I think it is; (2) what composer or composers I think it is not; (3) what style period, genre, etc. I think it is or is not. And give you any other help I can to help you find the answer.

Please find a clear clip. In the interest of good computer hygiene, I will not download a clip. Nor will I go to a site where I must "register" in order to hear the clip. Please mount the clip on a public site for which you can give me a direct URL. Thanks for your understanding in this. Remember, I'm a volunteer!

Students, I do NOT do homework questions. The purpose of answering questions on assignments is not only to learn the information, but to LEARN HOW TO FIND IT. Re-read chapter. Look in the index. Look in the references given at the end of the chapter or elsewhere in the book. You also probably can find the answer using Google. Don't be lazy. I wouldn't be doing you any favors by doing your homework for you! I already know the answer. You don't. You need to find it. MORE IMPORTANTLY, you need to learn HOW to find it. That's the whole purpose of education, after all!

I ask that you >>COME BACK TO READ MY RESPONSE<<. I've taken time to write the best response I can, so you should come back to read it! It's disheartening to respond to a question, only to see later that the person has not bothered to come back. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

I am happy to help you - that's why I volunteered - but please remember I *am* a volunteer and extend me normal courtesies, such as no multiple submissions and not bothering to come back for your answer. mb

If you submit a question to other Experts or the pool, I'd appreciate it if you would >>NOT<< submit it to me, also. It's like asking several people out on a date and choosing among those who said yes! This implies my time and particular expertise are worth nothing to you. I want to spend my time responding to those who find my qualifications germane to their question. Remember: I'm a volunteer!