Classical Music/Mozart, Bach

Question
I don't play piano, so some of those other questions I see about composers and techniques are Japanese to me. I'm a simple guy who tunes into WQXR in NY at times to see if they're playing relaxing stuff. OK, so the 'stuff' I like most are the types of Bach and Mozart pieces, piano and orchestra, that sort of start off quickly, really slow down for a little bit, silent pause, then you KNOW it'll switch back to being fast again.  (I really wish they would play this stuff again in the Barnes and Noble Book stores like they used to...it was so relaxing as background music when doing work...but now they play, well, I won't say it.)  My question is, what would be a good album(s) with the type of music I described?  Hurry, I'm feeling stressed:) thanx.

Answer
Any of the Mozart piano concertos should do the trick. Personally, I like Murray Perahia's interpretation of these pieces.  But Mitsuko Uchida is great too. I also like Rudolf Serkin. As to which piano concertos are best, listen to no 9,14,15,17,20,22,23,24,25 or 27.

For Bach, the F minor and D minor piano concertos are worth a listen.  I don't have a specific recommendation for the pianist. But a few to look for would be Andras Schiff, Glenn Gould or Angela Hewitt.

Hope this helps.

Classical Music

Jim Frimmer