Classical Music/Newby to classical music

Question
Hi Stephen,

I'm very new to classical music and seeing an orchestra or some kind of concert is definitely on the bucket list. Basically I was just wondering whether you could recommend any good orchestras/groups to look out for (I live in London, so I imagine it won't be hard!?). My particular interest is music in which the string section is prominent. Pieces I have come across that I have most enjoyed are the following:

* Arcangello Corelli: Concerto Grosso in G minor, op. 6, no. 8
* Mozart: Violin concerto No. 3 in G, No. 3 Rondo Allegro
* Pachelbel: Canon in D major
* Bach: Air
* Chopin: Nocturne No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 9,2

Any help, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kayleigh

Answer
hi Kayleigh,
I'm also a Londoner so I know how spoilt you are for choice.Any of the 5 London Orchestras are good. Philharmonia, BBC Symph., R.P.O. L.S.O.  L.P.O.
If you like strings, you must most definitely look (probably youtube is as good as anywhere)for Vaughan Williams "Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis." This probably the #1 string piece of all time. Then it gets hard because looking at what you've listed, I see that it's mostly lightish so I'm not sure where to direct you. Probably the best thing is to get hold of the original Disney movie, Fantasia, NOT Fantasia 2000. I'm fairly sure it's available. That is a great thing for a newcomer. The music is chosen well plus you have fantastic animation. Try that 1st along with the Tallis Fantasia I mentioned and let me know what you think.I have plenty more up my sleeve!!!
Steve

Classical Music

Stephen Levine