Cleaning Up/what about this?

QUESTION: Hi, do you know how to clean the stain off of bathtubs? I have attached an image for you to look at. Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Jackie;

From the looks of this, I think it may be calcium deposits.
As an over the counter type of cleaner, I would try 'CLR' but it will need more than one coating because it is embedded and not just on the surface. I think it is a build up due to harsh chemicals and hard water. If you have a water conditioner, it may be that the settings need to be changed and it should run more often to regenerate.

Personally, I like the 'natural ' cleaners better, they are cheaper to use and if it worked for 'grandma' it usually works for me.

First of all: wipe over the area using hydrogen peroxide to break down the stain. Now mix a solution of 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of salt. This will fizz when you mix it together, but it stops in about a minute. Then wipe this on the stain and let sit for about 30 minutes. then add water #1gallon# to the rest of the solution, wet some rags and stick them to the side of the tub and let them hang there for about 30 minutes. Repeat as necessary. All of these are things you have in your kitchen and has been used for decades, but works for everything in your home, even on carpeting for heavy soiled 'walk' areas.

Another solution that I have heard of but haven't tried yet is to use 'oven cleaner'. Spray the area, let sit for 15 minutes, wipe off and then clean with comet cleanser. Like I say, I didn't try this one yet so I am NOT sure how well it works.

I hope this works good for you, I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning just about everything. Good luck!
Jan Hayner

thank you for the tip. I followed your baking soda and it worked! I have a follow up mess. What about this? It is caused by the bottom of my pots and pans. I don't like to use chemical cleaners. What do you recommend? thanks

Hi Jackie;
I am so glad that it worked for you! This is such a miracle worker on just about anything you need to clean. It worked on carpeting, tons of stains, throw it in the washer for clothes with grease and grass stains, great for cleaning plastic outdoor furniture and works great for deodorizing when you wash walls.

You can use it for those pans too. Just mix it so it is thick-like a paste. Warm the bottom of your pan on the stove and then apply the vinegar, baking soda mixture. Add abut a teaspoon of salt to use for 'grit' as an abrasive ingredient. let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then fill the sink with 'hot' water and let the pan soak for another 10 minutes. Now mix up some more and apply and scrub the pan. Depending on the amount of the grease build-up, you may have to repeat. But, it works great! Once you have the pan clean, all you have to do for maintenance is to just scrub with baking soda every three or four times that you use the pan.

You can also heat the bottom of the pan, spray it with oven cleaner, let sit until it is cool and then wash as usual. This too may have to be repeated until you have it clean.

You have just found yourself your new 'miracle' cleaner!

Good luck and happy 'easy' cleaning.

Cleaning Up

Jan Hayner

If you have questions regarding home organizing, house cleaning shortcuts, office organizing, files, record keeping, organizing your children, teaching your kids how to help you clean and making it fun, I will give you the advice of a Professional Organizer, mom of four and grandma of 8. Working Smarter-Not Harder is a phrase I live by; taking the stress out of life so you have time for the fun things is my goal!

I have been a Professional Organizer for 9 years, the mom of 4 and grandma of 8,I do work for clients in the home and the work place, and am considered an expert in my field of Organization.

Faithful Organizers, passed member of NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers), WIM (Women in Management),

I have had work published all over the internet and various webzines and Newsletters. I am also a columnist on Mature and an Expert on all under Self Improvement/SelfHelp/Organizing Your Home and Workspace.

I have taken various /classes on organizing on the interent, been taught by the best (other collegues in the field), and when I need to learn something, I find an expert in the field and learn from them. I am a research fanatic and enjoy learning everything that I can on a subject.