Cleaning Up/my house is a disaster

Question
My house hasn't had a deep cleaning in years. We have to get rid of two sofas and a recliner because the dogs ruined them.  We have linoleum floors and some of the tiles need replaced.  The windows have black filth on them.
I just literally want to sit and cry when I think of all the work I need to put in this house to clean it up. I want to have family over by Fall but its in no shape for company right now.  I read that people even vacuum their baseboards and then clean them with dish soap/water. I can't imagine getting on my hands and knees and doing all of that. I've never been a good housekeeper.
I could just scream! I was hoping you could offer me some tips so that getting the house in hsape doesn't have to mean scrubbing and scrubbing
you get the idea..
p.s. we're looking at thrift stores for new furtnituere
on the bright side my hubby said he would help me..

Answer
Hi Linda,
Thank you for writing, I can hear your frustration.
It sounds like you have made some progress, that’s great news!
And now it seems like you want to make some more improvements then make it easier to maintain your home.
The great news it this CAN be done and you have the support of your husband which is nice.
I’d suggest making a plan. First write out a list of the things you want to clean, change or improve.
Then get started. I like to set a timer and work until the buzzer goes off. If I have 5 minutes while I wait for dinner to finish cooking then I set it for 5. I will not be done, but I’ll be further along.
If I have 15 or 20 minutes I set it for that.
I wear an apron so I have my supplies on me, like gloves, spray, rags and my timer.
I would try to avoid comparing your home to others; sure some people may scrub baseboards. But chances are there is an easier and equally effective way. I have a mop like this one

http://www.target.com/p/refill-microfiber-dust-mop-seventh-generation/-/A-142964
I wet it and run it along and it works great. This one washes in the washer, but sometimes I opt for disposable because I don’t want to make more laundry.
One small corner of one room at a time and you can do it.
Oh and I really like microfiber cloths for windows and mirrors, you just use the cloth- no cleaner.
I hope this helps. I can see your family visiting in the fall…
Jamie

Cleaning Up

Jamie Novak