Cleaning Up/overwhelmed with cleaning

Question
help. I've been a spoiled brat my entire life never having to do anything for myself. there, I said it and it's the truth.

I'm 25 now and I moved in with my longterm boyfriend.

Well I totaled my car and ended up losing my job, and jobs are difficult to find especially with no transportation. So I am temporarily out of work.

Boyfriend told me that while I'm out of work, to use this time to clean the apartment. We live in a 2bed/2ba apartment, it isn't that big.

But I am incredibly overwhelmed when I try to clean it. I try to do one thing at a time. but it doesn't make any difference.

there is clutter and mess everywhere and we have roaches in our kitchen which are disgusting.

I clean the dishes and by morning the sink is full of them again.. wrappers and boxes, dirty dishes, spills and stains.

So I clean it up again.

I've cleaned the kitchen every day for 4 days straight and it still looks like a disaster.

I haven't even gotten to any of the laundry. there's laundry everywhere.

the dog chewed up several toys and there's pieces of stuffing everywhere.

the dining room reeks of puppy piss because we are trying to potty train.

Boy friend can not help, he works 12 hours a day 6 days a week to pay for the bills and to buy me a new car.

when I lived at home, my grandma had the house spic and span every single night before she went to bed. there was never anything like this. it was perfect.

and there was definitely no f'ing roaches!!!!!!

Answer
Hi Kayla; (alias spoiled brat)

Heck Kayla, there are a lot of women that are older than 25 and still don't have cleaning and organizing down pat--stop beating yourself up over it. By the time you are finished your boyfriend will think he should put you on a pedestal. Believe me, it isn't hard to learn and you will even pat yourself on the back a couple times a day while your doing it!

First of all, get yourself a small notebook or some index cards for all of the tips you are going to get so that you can look them up real fast when you need to. You will be so glad you did.

Second: lets not look at the whole picture---it will scare you to death! We will only take one room at a time. Pick the room that disgusts you the most. You will feel great about what you are going to do and it will give you the boost you need to keep going.

Third: here are some recipes that are natural and inexpensive and that I use myself, that will get rid of the roaches and take care of the doggy pee odor.

Doggy Pee
Mix equal parts of vinegar and water, spray the area
Blot this area and then re-spray immediately.
When this is dry, sprinkle on some baking soda and then
Mix 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tsp. of dish soap; spray this on tope of the baking soda and let this dry. Then either sweep it up or use a vacuum to pick it up. If you use a vacuum, make sure that you empty it right away because it will have a lot of odor in it. Do this once a month or more often if puppy goes to same are. You can also get a puppy used to going potty in a kitty litter box. You simply scoop an area that he has gone potty in while he is outside and hide it in the kitty litter. He will know that this is the place to go.

Roaches
YUCK!!! I know what you are going through.
Roaches hate the smell of bay leaves and catnip. So invest in this!
Wash any areas that have dirt and dust because they like to hide and multiply in these areas. Put bay leaves on squares of paper or tape it to the back of your cupboards, under furniture and chairs etc.
But start in the room you plan on cleaning and organizing first. Don't tackle the whole house you will get there fast enough. Heck, your going to be a wiz!
Now, mix equal parts of baking soda and sugar. Sprinkle this in your cupboards and place on small squares of paper on your countertops for a few days. Roaches love the sugar so they eat it and step in it. meaning they take it back to the nest and other ones eat it too. The baking soda will make them get intestinal explosions that will kill them instantly. Very soon, you will find the dead ones and no more will come around.

Now pick your room and pick up all of the laundry. Now pick up everything that doesn't belong in that room and put it where it belongs or at least get it into the room you want it in. Pick up the dirty dishes and wash them and put them away right away. Now go back and polish all of the furniture (tables and wood trim). Now go back and clean all the mirrors, tv screens and anything glass. Vacuum and you are finished in there for today. Pat yourself on the back!
: www.organizingandcleaning.com and it will take you through all of the rooms and give you some other ideas that are all inexpensive to do. I know that you will love it!

Good luck and get back to me and let me know how you are doing!
Jan Hayner
Now go to my website

Cleaning Up

Jan Hayner