Cleaning Up/washing kelim

Is it possible to wash a small kelim myself?

Hi Ansie,
Thank you for your question. It is possible to wash a small Kelim yourself, but my biggest fear would be color running. The novice rug cleaner often times uses too much water and causes the colors of their rug to run. Do you know what kind of rug you have? Do you know if the foundation of the rug is wool or cotton? Let me know if you do, or shoot me an email with rug pics ( I can give you an idea of whether or not this is something you can attempt yourself.

Cleaning Up

Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs

I can answer any and all questions you have regarding the cleaning, restoration and repair of Oriental rugs. I am more than happy to view your pictures via email and to give you advice on what you can do yourself and what needs to be left to the pros. I can also advise on the cost-effectiveness of repair on your rugs.

My family has had a Persian carpet store in the Washington, DC metro area for nearly 30 years (