Clocks, Watches/Antique - Pocket Watch

Paul Gauvreau wrote at 2011-06-11 09:04:19
    Brewster & Co., once located on Broome Street in NYC, was the country's foremost carriage maker until 1910, at which time they began making automobile bodies in a newly constructed building located near the entrance to the Qweensboro Bridge in NYC.  Later they entered into an automobile partnership agreement with Rolls Royce under the name of Brewster & Co./Rolls Royce. Rolls Royce made the chassis in Springfield, MA and drivers, with only a hood over them, drove the bare chassis to NYC, where they were fitted with hand-crafted bodies by Brewster to create the finest early automobiles of the day, such as the Brewster/Rolls Royce Silver Ghost.

Shortly after WW1, Brewster & Co. also began making boat hulls and pontoons for airplane wings and airplane fuselages, in order to convert early land-based aircraft to seaplanes. Prior to WW2, Brewster designed and built fighter aircraft for the U.S. Navy and continued to do so until 1944. The parts for their aircraft were manufactured in their Qweensboro building and assembled into completed fighter bombers in hangers at Islip Airport on Long Island, NY. Their other aircraft plant was in Pennsylvania.

During their carriage-building years, Brewster& Co. provided a line of Brewster & Co. hand-held lanterns that served their carriage trade. During their car-building years, they provided a line of Brewster & Co. travel clocks in foldable flat cases that were similar to, or identical to, the car clocks made for their Brewster/Rolls Royce early automobiles. They also provided these car clocks in small mantel-type mahogany cases. The word "provided" is used here, since it is not clear if they sold these hand-held lanterns and these clocks for profit or simply just gave them to a purchaser of a carriage or of an automobile.

The car clocks were of Swiss manufacture or made by the Waltham Watch Company of Waltham, Massachusetts. Some of the Brewster & Co. Waltham car clocks are traceable by serial number. Brewster & Co. must not be confused with Brewster & Ingram, who made only clocks, and to whom some people incorrectly refer to as "Brewster Clocks". Brewster & Ingram did not make Brewster & Co. clocks. Brewster & Co. did not make lanterns, clocks or watches. They made only carriages, antique automobiles, boat hulls, fine woodwork and fighter bomber aircraft. Brewster & Co. carriage and coach lamps were made by the Abraham P. DeVoursney company in Manhattan, the DeVoursney Brothers company on Broome Street in NYC and the White Manufacturing Co. of Bridgeport, Connecticut.

The complete story of Brewster & Co. can be found on the Internet under Coachbuilt.com.

Paul Gauvreau wrote at 2011-07-10 21:04:37
Brewster & Co. Pocket Watches and Dash Watches - Brewster & Co. of Broome Street, NYC was this country's finest coach and carriage maker. Many of their coaches and carriages were built to accommodate Brewster & Co. pocket watches, which the owner carried on his person. Upon entrance into an open coachman-driven carriage, the Brewster & Co. pocket watch was snapped into a fitted holding area beneath the coachman's seat for easy viewing. Upon entering an enclosed coach, the pocket watch was snapped into a vanity case which also held calling cards, lady-type items, etc. Many Brewster & Co. sporting carriages (owner driven) were ordered with Brewster & Co. dash clocks. They were 2 & 3/4 inches in diameter and came in a foldable wallet-style leather case. The case was opened, folded backwards and draped over the patent leather dashboard in front of the driver. Upon exiting the vehicle, the driver took the dash clock with him. Watches and clocks with just the name Brewster on them, and watches and clocks with the name E. C. Brewster & Co. on them, have no connection whatsoever to the great Brewster & Co. carriage firm. Brewster & Co. watches and clocks were Swish made or made by the Waltham Watch Co. of Waltham, Massachusetts.The full story of Brewster & Co. is viewable on the Internet under Coachbuilt.com.

chilltech7 wrote at 2014-01-30 01:35:51

Clocks, Watches

Melvin Mills