Clocks, Watches/Elgin clock

Gepp wrote at 2011-01-08 18:24:43
On these types of Elgin clocks the black button is for setting the hour chimes to syncronise for the correct hour. Usually there is also a red button with an S under it. Pressing this button will stopp the clock movement then you would press the black button the number of times the hour hand is set at. Count the beeps when you press the button and stop when it is at the correct hour. Setting the minute hand to the correct quarter chimes is a little tricky as the quarter time is actually read from where the hour hand is. So move the minute hand to the correct position when the quarter chime sounds then use the time setting wheel on the clock to reset to the correct time, usually going forward in time as opposed to back.

Christine wrote at 2014-06-18 16:18:15
I had the same problem with my clock chiming at 25 minutes after the hour.  I just found this answer about turning the minute hand to 12 when it chimed and it worked perfectly! I have been trying everything and finally came across this forum and answer from six years ago.  I'm thrilled and very thankful.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)