Clocks, Watches/C J Hug Co Imperial Chime Mantle Clock

wayne wrote at 2010-03-10 06:37:34
After WWII, C J Hug and his son bought out Imperial Clock Co.  They continued to build clocks until the late 1960's.  The firm no longer exist.  A good read on electric horology is 150 Years of Electric Horology.  The book can be obtained from the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

John Hug wrote at 2010-12-05 17:07:39
Hi, I am JL Hug the grandson of CJ and son of JC Hug.  I was born in 1950 and remember visiting the clock company.  By the time I was around 10, the company was closed as my grandfather was by then in his 80s.  Prior to that his HUG TRUCK company was perhaps his biggest business which he founded in 1922 and continued to run until 1942 at which time he had a contract with the US Military to build vehicles for WWII.  

Zippy wrote at 2011-02-21 23:05:27
HI, I am JL Hug the son of JC and grandson of CJ.  CJ died in the 1960's and my dad died in 1978.  CJ was most well-known for the Hug Truck Company than the clock company which came later.  

Thus the answer to "is he living of deceased".  

William N. McCormick wrote at 2012-11-30 22:17:00
Hello - The Hug company for all intents and purposes went out of business in 1957 or 1958.  They commenced operation as a clock company in 1939 with their patented movement # 2176870. It is conjecture, but appears that Hug's clock business fell on hard times in the late fifties. They must have offered all cases, movement, chime sets, movements, and rights to their patents to The Sessions Clock Compat in Forestville, Ct in 1958.  I recently purchased, on E-Bay a decrepitly cased Sessions mantle clock with an identical (patent# inscribed).  THE MOVEMENTS ARE IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY. It is the HUG movement in a Sessions case.  The Hug company marketed their clocks, westminster only, under the Brand Name of "IMPERIAL CLOCK COMPANY" Hope this helps .

Bruce wrote at 2016-06-04 16:15:22
John,  I can't help with your answer.  However, I was born and raised in Highland, Illinois.  I remember the clock factory very well.  It was a one story red brick building near the center of town.  In the war years '41 thru '45 I would have been age 7 thru 11.  I seem to recall that during that period the "clock factory" shifted to making instruments for the war effort as did a lot of other factories.  Also in Highland at the time the famed Wicks Pipe Organ company shifted to producing wings for Navy Grumman fighter aircraft.  I also knew C. J. Hug very well.  I had my first real job spotting pins in his bowling alley.  He also had a factory making heavy trucks since the '20's.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman