Clocks, Watches/Grandfather Clock

teduaebekim wrote at 2013-02-16 02:05:20

I have the same issue as Tom.  Moved clock from my dad's house.  It is even the same movement, Hermle 1161.  Now it will not stay running.  I am fairly good mechanically. I found the disconnected pendulum parts and put them back together.  I even tuned and adjusted the chimes on my own.

even with everything hooked up and holding the pendulum to get the beat to a smooth still glides to a stop.  My father has dementia.  The weights were all cranked to the top.  I was concerned he may have over cranked it and done some damage.  is there a "release" to let the weights down some?  or is there some other way to check for damage to the spool assembly without removing the movement from the clock?  Could it be something as simple as oiling or cleaning (does not appear dirty or gummed)?

Any direction you could give would be a huge help!

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)