Clocks, Watches/4848 Molenoux 9 Tube grandfather clock #8404922

I've had this clock many years and its well loved and taken care of.  It was fully serviced a few months ago and since then when I change the chime selection switch the clock quits running except when on 4/4 silent.  The service man has been back several times for this problem and now is completely puzzled and says there is nothing else he can do.

Can you help me with this problem or suggest where I can go to find the solution????

Thank you.  Pat

Pat, I normally would ask you for the model of the movement itself.  However, since it was fully serviced by an experienced (I assume) clockmaker, I feel I cannot give you any additional information.  I can usually diagnose a clock problem by email and suggest a general area in which to look for a problem.  If this is unsuccessful, I would have to observe the clock while it is functioning.  I will say that the 9 tube models are the most difficult to get running because of the additional series of wheels (gears) required to run the chime drum.  Each meshing wheel/pinion and pivot points has to be checked for some type of resistance or binding.  My suggestion would be to seek out another clockmaker for a different opinion.  If this happened to a clock I repaired, I would feel compelled to offer at least a partial refund to the customer for the part of clock that failed.  One of the problems here is that it might require the complete breakdown of the movement to find and repair the defective part.  This can rapidly turn in to a no-win situation, and sometimes this does happen.  The only simple advice I can give you is to make sure the heaviest weight is on the chime side (right side as you face the clock), and the weight is the correct value.  If you will send me the model of the movement (all the information you can find on the movement back plate)and the weight of all three weights, I will verify that they are correct.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama
(This is not a mailing address)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)