Clocks, Watches/4848 Molenoux 9 tube g.f. clock

I'd responded a couple of days ago but find that email may not have sent.  So will go thru this all experts.

Yes, the weights are in correct position - and marked L,C,R under the weights but do not know where to find the weight value.  I do notice that the (r) weight pulls up just alittle higher then the other 2 in winding. When questioned, the repairman said that he installed new Wires (if that is what they are called) and it may have stretched alittle  Would that make any difference?
Where is the movement back plate?

I've re-read and re-checked all the paper work I have on this clock which is somewhat limited for repair but do not find any numbers that would indicate parts.
Thank you John for having responded and look forward to another response.  If you wish to respond directly to my email  please do.    Again many thanks, Pat

Pat, I would think the weights are probably the correct ones and if they are in the correct position as marked, they are okay.  Without seeing the clock  and running it through the chimes, I cannot really tell you what might be the cause.  I do not want to get in the middle of the issue with another clockmaker, but if I had charged a customer for an overhaul of a movement, I would do the job completely, and of course charge for the time it took to resolve any problem.  I have had a couple in my career that I regrettably had to back out of, and that was because it was affecting my other work.  I did return the customer's charges and suggested they have another clockmaker look at it.  As I believe I mentioned before, the tubular chime movements do sometimes have exceptional problems because of the additional number of gears and linkages.  I don't know if the clockmaker originally took the movement into the shop, but for this problem I certainly would, so I could break it down to find the problem.  As far as the cables are concerned, I have never heard of one stretching.  If one was the incorrect diameter and too small, it could break.  And the fact that it not winding as high, I don't think that would affect the chime function, unless the cable was not winding on the cable drum correctly.  A jammed cable will cause failure.  If the clock has a "stopworks" which controls the upper and lower limits of the winding, it could have been installed and aligned a little off.  Still, it would not cause a problem.  Sorry I could not help you more, but I would have to see it to understand what was happening.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)