Clocks, Watches/Age and value

We have a Centennial Parlor clock with a brass plate or gold inside with the name and a number 2298 on it and on the face it has The Time MFG.Co. and is a dual wined up with key.We would like to know the age and value of this clock.It is in very good condition so please e-mail me or call with any info. Thanks

Roger, there were many clocks with similar names on them.  I do not recognize any of the numbers or names as far as being identified with a particular clock.  Do you see anything on it that refers to a 31 day?  Also do you have a photo of it?  I might be able to help you a little more identifying it.  If you can't post a photo on Allexperts, send it to my shop email address below.  

As far as value, if you will read the explanation on my personal information, you will see that I do not give values and the reasons.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Roger, I did some more research and found that the Centinnial clock by the Time Manufacturing Company is indeed an Asian 31-day clock.  I found some On-line auction sites that listed them as being offered and not selling too much other than one selling for $99.00.  I don't know the time of manufacture, but I would think that it was in the latter part of the 20th century.  You can do an eBay search for those that are listed that might be similar to yours and check the completed listings for actual sale prices.  I hope this helps a little.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)