Clocks, Watches/Alaron 31 Day windup Clock does not keep time

The 1970 Alaron Clock my father has will not keep running.  This just started a few days ago.  We've lined it on the pins as close as we can, when we start it, it only runs great for 4 mins and then you hear a clicking sound and it stops.  Do you have an answer for this type of issue?!!

It is the C24 Korea wall/mantal clock with the peacock glass.
Thank you.

Leslie, did the problem start just after it was wound?  Sometimes the clock will be tilted on the wall enough to put it out of beat.  I'm not sure what you mean about lining it on the pins.  Are you talking about the pin at the bottom of the case?  What is important is that the clock is in beat.  Listen for the tick tock.  It should be even like tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes tick..tock......tick..tock it is out of beat and will stop.  If this is the case, move the bottom of the clock a little to the right or left to obtain an even beat.  If that doesn't do it, there could be another problem.  The clicking sound could be that the power is not getting to the escape wheel and the verge (part attached to the pendulum that rocks back and forth) is hitting the escape wheel teeth, which can damage them.  Has the clock been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years?  If not, the failure could be caused by old gummy lubricants and/or worn parts.  As your clock is over 40 years old, it could be that it is just worn out.  Many of the Asian clocks have a history of failing from wear, as the parts were made from "economy" materials.  Try what I have suggested and let me know what happens.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)