Clocks, Watches/clock hands wont move

I have a Hermle Quartz 2215. After setting my clock to the day light savings time now my hands wont move. I have tried new battereis . I have had this clock about 6 years and never had this problem.

Janet, I have had a couple of these movements experience this problem.  It has been a while, but I think a gear stripped or broke.  The parts of plastic and this sometime happens.  I would have to see the movement and possibly break it down to determine what had happened.  We don't normally do this, as the labor for doing disassembling, diagnosing and repairing them would be more than replacing the movement.  The factory instructions do give instructions for setting the time by advancing the minute hand or using the hand setting knob on the rear of the movement.  It does show an arrow pointing in either direction, meaning that it can be set turning the hands in the clockwise or counterclockwise direction.  It seems like we had a discussion about this on our Internet Clocksmiths Group.  I'll check with the members and see if anyone remembers anything concerning moving the minute hand backwards. I'll get back with in a day or so.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)