Clocks, Watches/clock key

Question
QUESTION: I HAVE A 31 DAY KASSEL SCHOOL HOUSE CLOCK - APPROX 20-24" HIGH, APPROX 20 YRS OLD WHICH I LOST THE KEY.  CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT SIZE THE KEY IS.  THANK YOU.

ANSWER: I believe these movements take a #10 size (4.4 mm).

QUESTION: I measured the key hole - it is 1/2"  The small pin inside is 1/4".  Would this be a number 10 key -- 4 mm?  Thank you.

Answer
That's not possible. You have to measure the winding post with accurate calipers, a ruler won't do. Clock key sizes only vary by fractional measurements. A 0.25"(6.35 mm) would require a #20 size key. Clock winding keys only go up to #16. You have to go to a Grandfather clock winding crank for a size #20. Kassel clocks are made in China and the Chinese movements take a size #10.
http://timesavers.com/catalogmain2.asp?GroupID=175&Level=4&ProdID=10050
I know for a fact the Timesavers #10 fits. Can't be sure about other suppliers unless you specified 4.4mm. Check for small print under the "6" on the dial. If it says made in China, order #10. If it says made in Korea, order #7. Chinese movements are 15 day, Korean are 31 day but I've never seen a Korean made Kassel, hence the clarification.

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.