Clocks, Watches/Emperor Clock is not chiming the correct number of chimes for the time it is on the clock

Question

I have an Emperor Clock (marks on back:  82; 341-020; 11 cm/200.78) and it is not chiming the correct number of chimes for the hour the clock is on.  Example: if it is 10 on the clock face then is is only chiming 8 chimes.  I don't have a user manual and can't find anything online.  Can you help me figure out how to adjust my clock so it works properly again (it has worked fine until recently).

Thanks,

Andrew

Answer
Andrew, what probably happened is that the hour hand was inadvertently moved when the minute hand was being set.  This happens a lot.  The following are the steps I have written to synchronize the strike to the hour:

SYNCHRONIZING THE HOUR HAND

Turn the minute hand through the quarters, allowing each quarter complete the chime until you reach the hour.  When the hour strikes, count the number of strikes.  If the hour hand is not pointing to the hour that just struck, slip it to that hour.  This positions the hour hand correctly.  Make sure it is pushed on so it is firm.  Check to see if the hands clear each other and the dial when they rotate.  If they don't they will catch each other and stop the clock.   Then turn the minute hand to reset the clock to the correct time.  The chimes might not be in sync, but they should correct within one to two hours.

If you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman