Clocks, Watches/Emperor Grandfather Clock Model 300M

Hi John,
I recently purchased an Emperor Grandfather clock from the 70's, model 300M.  It has the URGOS UW03015B, Made in Germany No (0) Jewels Unadjusted movement.  It is also stamped 281565.  

When it was sold to me it was done so with the knowledge that the clock was not running, but the owner thought it just needed cleaning, that it hadn't ran in some time.  When I got the clock home and set up I was pleasantly suprised that it actually ran rather than not.  What I found after a it ran for awhile was that it was loosing time,  maybe as much as a minute an hour.  I read in one of your earlier posts that the 300M should have a 10.5 lb. weight on the chime side.  When I weighed the three weights individually I found one at about 8.3 the second at 8.6 and the third at 8.65.  I moved the heaviest weight to the chime and also raised the brass disc on the pendulum slightly to see if it would help.  I'll have to let you know after it has run for awhile if it did.  Ultimately I guess I'll have to replace the movement in the clock but I'm hoping not to have to go that route right off the bat.  What is your opinion on the smaller  8.65 lb. weight on the chime chain?  Could that be part of the problem?  Also, I was wondering if you could recommend someone from your group that may be close to my area to have the clock serviced at.  I live on Maryland's eastern shore not far from Easton, MD.  

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks,  Dave

Dave, I will have to check my charts to verify if the 300M is the Urgos UW030XXX.  This movement uses 7.7# weights for the strike (left as you face the clock) and 7.7# for the time (center) unless a larger, heavier lyre pendulum has been installed.  For the chime weight, The Westminster chain and cable driven models use an 8.5# weight and the triple chime chain and cable weights use a 9.5# weight.  This is taken from the charts I have, but I need to verify this, as generally the cable driven models use heavier weights than the chain driven models.

However, the weights have nothing to do with the regulation of the clock.  The rating nut at the bottom of the pendulum bob regulates the clock.  As you have an error of 24 minutes a day, I would suspect that the pendulum hanging configuration is incorrect.  The way it should be is that a suspension spring (about the size of a razor blade) is attached to a horizontal suspension post at the top back of the movement. A hanger (arm about 6" to 8" long) attaches to pension spring.  The hanger connects with an arm that comes out of the top back of the movement.  The pendulum attaches to the hanger.  A common problem that causes the clock to run slower is caused by the hanger becoming detached from the suspension spring and dropping down or the suspension spring is broken, allowing the hanger to drop down.  A lot of times the clock will not run because of this, but if it does, it will be slow.  Check this out.  Another cause we occasionally run into is that in incorrect pendulum of a different length has been installed on the clock.  If you are not sure of the hanging configuration, send me a clear photo of the back of the movement, showing the parts I have mentioned.  If you will, send it to my shop email address below, so I can see the photo better.  Also let me know if the movement is a chain or cable drive, if the chime is a single Westminster or triple chime and if it has a wood stick or decorative metal lyre pendulum.  I will verify the weight requirements for the movement.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)