Clocks, Watches/FHS(Hermle)130-020

My clock stopped working a long time ago. I wanted to try to get it working again but it seems that if I wind up the two wheels only the 3 hammers work. If I try to move the balance wheel it turns for anout ten seconds then slows down to a complete stop. What could be the problem?

Gertjie, the most common reasons for a clock movement to stop are old gummy lubricants and/or worn parts.  My recommendation on maintenance is that a modern production movement should be serviced every 7 to 10 years.  If it had been longer than that before it stopped, it could be either of the two reasons.  Usually this results in not enough power is being transmitted to the balance wheel and/or it needs cleaning. The balance wheel is the regulator which controls the timing of the movement and can be considered the "heart" of the movement.  When a movement is cleaned it is disassembled and cleaned, the balance wheel separately in a different solution because of it being a precision mechanism.  The logo, FHS (Franz Hermle and Sohn), was used before the current logo, and at the moment don't remember the actual dates.  But it was probably back in the 1970's, meaning that the movement possibly might need a complete overhaul.  Since the labor could be rather lengthy, it sometimes is better to replace it with a new movement.  The 130-020 is still being manufactured.  It would be best to have an experienced clockmaker look at it.  Sorry I did not have an easy solution.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)