Clocks, Watches/Grandfather clock not chiming on the hour

Question
I let my German 3 chime grandfather clock weight run down, and when I restarted and reset it, it chimes on all 1/4 hours, but will not chime on the hour.  If I move the chime selector to the off position and back to chime, it chimes on the hour, but it will not chime on the hour by itself.  Please advise.

Thanks,
Sid

Answer
Usually this would indicate that there is bearing wear on the movement that is not allowing the locking lever for the strike to release. Turning the silent lever on then off again bypasses the normal action so the strike is unlocked to play. This was probably a developing problem that just coincided with you letting the clock run down, you didn't create this problem by doing so. You'll need a repairman to take a look and let you know if the movement needs to go in for service.

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.