Clocks, Watches/Hamilton wall clock, Lancaster County model

Question
Hi:
I received my wall clock in 1991 at my 25th year with IBM. It has been clean & oiled twice. It's a 3-hole winder, and the center winding mechanism has stopped functioning. I think the pawl or the cog that holds the tension has broken and it will not hold the spring tension. I can't find a local repairman, and am thinking about opening it up myself.
Can you buy replacement parts for these things or do you have to replace the movement? It's about 32" tall, and would be a bear to pack up and ship away.
From what I can see, Hamilton is out of business, so that avenue is closed.
Any info you can provide will be appreciated. I really like this clock and it's chimes. It's much more mellow than any other wind-up clock I have heard.

Thank you.

Answer
Chuck, many companies such as Hamilton ceased producing clocks, but that is not really a problem.  The movement was made for Hamilton by probably Hermle or Kieninger.  I have worked on some of these that used a Hermle movement, probably model 351-030 or similar.  This model would have the side chime hammers.  There is a ratchet pawl on the winding arbor and the retaining spring has probably broken or bent.  If it has bent, it is not a good idea to reform it to the original position.  It could be weakened and will be susceptible to breakage.  The movement can be removed from the case and taken or sent to a clockmaker.  If you will give me the area in which you live I will see if there are any of our Internet Clocksmiths Group members near you.  It would be best to have the movement checked, as when a mainspring lets go, it can possibly damage some adjacent parts.  Contact to my email address below and I'll check on some things for you.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman