Clocks, Watches/Juba mantle clock

Question
juba clock
juba clock  

juba clock
juba clock  
I have been given a Juba mantle clock by friends of the family.  It has been on their mantle in VA. for many years.  It is running but according to them it has never been cleaned or lubricated.  Would you recommend that it be cleaned and lubricated or should I just wait until it starts to stop telling the correct time.  I'm sorry that I can't find a date on the movement.
Steve

Answer
Steve,you have a nice clock there.  I do not know much about Juba, but it is probably German for the early 1900's.  As far as serving, a clock can run for years without any attention.  However, as with any mechanical device, parts will wear and lubricants will become old and gummy.  Very seldom do any of these problems cause the clock to vary in the timekeeping.  The chimes or strike become slow and stop or the clock just quits running.  When the clock fails due to lack of service over the years, the restoration can be rather extensive.  If serviced regularly, and I recommend every 7 to 10 years, it will be better in the long run as far as preserving the clock.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman