Clocks, Watches/moving advice for grandfather clock

Question
I have a Diplomat grandfather clock made in 1986.  I want to move it to another house.  I have the set up instruction booklet, but was hoping we didn't have to dismantle the cables, chimes, etc to move it as the instructions seem pretty complex.  I was hoping to just stabilize the insides with packing material and move it that way.
What are your suggestions for moving the clock?
Thank you,
Nancy Jacks
El Dorado Hills, CA

Answer
Nancy, it isn't really that complicated.  Of course the weights and pendulum have to me removed.  Carefully remove the weights and pack them seperately.  Make sure they are identified, left, center and right (as you face the clock).  If they are not marked, I suggest using a permanent marker and put an "L", "C" and "R" on the bottom.  Remove the pendulum and pack it in padded material.  Care should be taken when removing and replacing the pendulum.  If mishandled, the suspension spring at the top of the pendulum hanging assembley can be easily broken.  Put some padding up in the chime rods and secure it with rubber bands or chenelle ties (long pipe cleaners).  This keeps the chime rods from vibrating during transporting , which will cause them to weaken and sometimes break. Secure the hanger (the arm from which the pendulum hangs).  I use a piece of blue painter's tape for short moves.  Just tape it to the back of the movement.  I usually let the clock run down most of the way before moving so the weights are near the bottom.  Tie them together with large rubber bands and anchor them at the bottom front of the clock door.  Some clocks have a hook down there for that purpose.  Sometimes I will attach the rubber band to a rolled up piece of cardboard and pull it under the door as I close the door to secure it.  If the clock has a finial at the top of the crown, remove it.  It should not be glued.  The reason for this is so it doesn't become broken when moving the clock through doors.  The clock can be transported on its back.  Make sure the doors are secured so they don't open during transporting.  Just make sure you have some flat padding underneath it.  I hope this helps a little.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman