Clocks, Watches/New Haven clock strikes 5 minutes late

Question
QUESTION: I have a New Haven Tambour 50 which runs fine (keeps time) except one thing - it chimes 5 minutes after the half or hour.  Is this something that can be adjusted to be closer to the hour?  Also if you have an idea how old it is, it would be appreciated.  Thanks,

ANSWER: Dave, I am not sure about the date of the model 50, but will see if I can find anything on it when I return to my shop tomorrow.  If it is one of the older clocks, pre-WWII, the fix for this problem usually requires disassembling the movement to get to the mechanism on the inside.  If it is a later clock with a bushing on the minute hand, the bushing can be slipped.  Once we determine the type, I can better assist you.  I will get back with  you.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Hi John,

Have you had a chance to determine the type of clock?

thanks very much,
Dave

Answer
Dave, I have exhausted my resources and looked at about 200 New Haven mantel clocks.  I did not find a #50.  The closest was a #56 and it is the type that has the fixed minute hand hole. Since it was made in the same era and a little earlier than the #56, it might have the minute hand with a hole in the hand.  The hole is probably an "I" hole, meaning that it is a slot with rounded ends.  It could possibly be a "square" hole.  This movement would probably require disassembly to make this adjustment.  However, some types can be adjusted without the disassembly.  The more modern type, usually starting about the time of the Westminster chime versions (3 winding holes in the face) had a bushing on the minute hand that can usually be slipped so the hand is pointing to the hour when it strikes.  You can check the minute hand to see which type it is. If you have any more questions or want to send me a photo of the hand and front of the clock, my shop email is shown below.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman