Clocks, Watches/Set up and adjusting Emperor model 120

I was given an Emperor Clock Model 120, movement 101m, moving moon with lunar calender clock. On the back of the movement it states: Heinz Jauch Inc. #77 294 and 250960. I have assembled the body of the grandmother clock and installed the movement without instructions. Now I need a manual to guide me through the adjustments for operation. I set the strikers and hung the weights. I am not sure on adjusting the pendulum. When rotating the minute hand, it plays correctly on the 1/4,1/2,3/4 but at the hour it plays 2 hours later (1pm rings at three chimes). The pendulum will not stay swinging and stops. Thank you for your assistance in any information on the clocks operation and if a manual is available.

Roger, the Model 120 was probably the most popular clock produced by Emperor.  The original movement used in it was the Jauch 77, which Emperor designated the 100M,  Later they we switched to the Hermle 451, which was designated the 101M.  So I think you have the 100M. Is it NOS (New Old Stock) movement which has never been used?  It would be at least 35 years old.  To set the correct hour of strike, move the minute hand through the quarters, letting each quarter complete its' tune.  When it reaches the hour, count the number of strikes.  Without turning the minute hand, carefully slip the hour hand to the hour that just struck.  That should take care of that.  As far as the pendulum not moving, that means the clock is not running.  There could be a couple of problems in that it could be out of beat or the oils have become gummy and it will not run freely.  I do have the manuals for both movements.  I have a set of diagnostic steps I have written for a clock that is not running.  If you will contact me at my shop email address below, I will email to you and and give you the details on the manual.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)