Clocks, Watches/urgos 03038B 9 tube schematic

Can you tell me where I could find a schematic for a  urgos 0303B 9 tube movement
Thanks so much

ANSWER: Dan, we normally don't refer to manuals as schematics, so are you talking about an exploded view of the movement showing the parts?  I think I have one but it is in German.  Let me know the description of the document and I'll see what I can do.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: It is a production assembly manual or schematic. Not sure of the exact title. Thanks so much for your help on this. I took the movement apart and can't get it back together.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Dan, the types of information I have are geared more to the clock repairman in areas of general repair, special movements and ordering parts.  There are also manuals for the customer who is installing a movement, usually after constructing a case.  I work on the tubular movements occasionally and often have to "retrain" myself on them.  There are many different types of movements out there and whether a clockmaker starts out by self teaching or completing a formal course in clockmaking, the simple time-only clocks are the first to learn, advancing to time and strike and then to the chiming clocks.  Each type is more complicated, particularly the tubular clocks because of the complex gearing.  And one of the biggest problems with the tubular movements is the stalling out of the chime train, as there are quite a few gears involved and they have to be in perfect alignment.  The synchronization and alignment of each function is rather critical, and a lot of these functions are interactive, meaning that some adjustments have to be done in exact order or previous adjustments will be affected.  And each make and model can be very different.  I'm afraid that I will not be able to help you on reassembling the movement.  It might be best to take it to an experienced clockmaker to reassemble.  I'm sorry I cannot help you more.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)