Clocks, Watches/Western Germany Grandfather Clock

Dear William,

I have a western germany grandfather clock and it chimes every 15 minutes and on the hour it also chimes the hour.  Example 12 chimes at 12 o'clock.  At 4 o'clock it started to chime only 3 times.  How can I fix it.  This happened after it stopped working and I manually moved the hands and pendulum.  

It sounds like you have gotten the hands out of synch with timekeeping.  You can usually correct this by removing the minute hand from the clock and repositioning it to a position consistant to the correct time.  To remove the minute hand you must first remaove the hand nut.  The hand not is the knurld nut that holds the minute hand onto its shaft.  Regards WJP

Clocks, Watches

William J Perkins

can respond to all questions regarding clock repair. (mechanical clocks only, no quartz or electric) specializes in museum quality restorations.