Clocks, Watches/Westminister Chime not working right.

I have a Seth Thomas Mantel Clock with Westminister chime. The Movement is a Talley Ind A401-003 2 Jewel 7813 Unadjusted. I received the clock not working. I have disassembled and cleaned the movement and oiled pivots and regreased the mainsprings. After putting it back together it runs fine but it only plays the chime on the hour, and doesn't strike at all. When I rotate the minute hand and observe the movement, I can observe the lever on the minute hand cam moving at every quarter hour, but it only realeses the chime on the hour, and the striking action does not do anything at all. I am new to clock repair and I made several photos of the movement as I disassembled it to aid in assembly. I am stuck and starting to wonder if the problem was there before I cleaned it. Any advice you can give is appreciated.

bearing wear
bearing wear  
You said nothing about polishing the pivots or installing bushings to correct wear that is present. There will normally be quite a bit on a '78 movement because the brass & steel aren't as hard as they need to be, that's why most repairmen will replace a '70s era movement, those problems have been addressed on the new mechanisms. Let down the mainsprings and check for bearing wear like you see in the photo, I would suspect that is the root of your difficulties.

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.