Clocks, Watches/Westminster Clock Motor

I just got an old clock from my grandparents. and the motor was weak, and now dead. I am looking for a replacement motor but don't know what to look for (the motor only has patent numbers on it.

The clock says its

NO. 212 DW
Self Starting Electric Westminster Chime

From my understanding it needs a 60 cycle synchonous motor with a 10 pin gear.
the burnt out motor is brass on one side with 2 leads that come out of the top.

Patent #s

Do you know where i can get a replacement or how to fix this one?

Steve, if you can send a clear photo of the back of the movement with the motor showing and one of the motor, I might be able to help you.  There are a few of these around, but some are hard to come by.  Don't discard the motor.  If one cannot be found, there are members of my Internet Clocksmiths Group that rebuild certain types of these motors.  I won't be in touch with any sources until Monday.  I just checked one of my catalogs and Timesavers carries a Hansen synchronous motor, 1 RPM with a 10 tooth pinion.  It is part number 18404.  You might look on Timesavers On-line catalog and see if that is the one.  Let me know and if not send the photos if you can.  My email address is below.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)