Clocks, Watches/Chimes stopped working

I have a "Sligh" mantel clock, 20+ yrs old,model=0,movement=#304-020 Franz Hermle, two(2) jewels.
Recently the chimes stopped working, no chiming at all. So,I removed the min. & hr, hands & the mechanism out of the case and cleaned & oiled (Etsyntha 859). I backed off the springs, off of the striker & chimes, cause I thought they might be to tight. The clock is keeping good time incidentally. Reassembled and wound all (3) spring movements & the chimes are still not working & the clock is maintaining good time. Can you help me out??

Joe, sometimes the numbers are a little difficult to read.  I would think that the model is a 340-020.  It uses a balance wheel for a regulator rather than a pendulum.  A mainspring that is wound all the way will not cause any failure of the running, chiming e or strike.  A clock cannot be wound too tight unless it is forced to the extent that a spring snaps or the key is bent.  The two main causes of a clock not working is due to old lubricant and/or worn parts or adjustments.  The chime function is usually the first to fail.  If there are any worn bushings, the clock has to be disassembled and repaired.  If the problem is due to adjustments, the procedure is rather complicated, mainly to diagnose and adjust.  It would take a few hours of instruction to learn the diagnostic steps and repair for the chime function.  I would suggest having an experienced clockmaker look at it.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)