Clocks, Watches/Emperor Clock Kit

Happy Holidays John-

My Mom has an Emperor grandfather kit clock made and assembled for her by her Dad in the 1960's.  The movement stamping indicates that it is made by Erhard Jauch, with a number 77 in the corner.  The clock ran for many years but recently the thin spring metal device (possibly the suspension spring?) that supports the pendulum broke.  I like to tinker and offered to see if I could find and install a replacement part, if they are available.  Can you suggest the correct part and maybe a source?

Thanks and very best regards,
Kevin Calhoun

Kevin, I sell the Jauch suspension springs in pairs for the following reason. If one is broken (they are very delicate), you have another without having to reorder.  If the first goes okay, put the spare in an envelope and tape it to the inside of the clock.  Also, clock supply houses sell them, i.e. Timesavers. Google them and they have an On-line catalog. Their part number is #24688.  If you need any more information on getting the clock to run, contact me at my shop email address below.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)