Clocks, Watches/Estimated valve on wall clock

Question
I have a Lava 31 day wall clock that I purchased in the early 1970's. The clock works perfectly and the chimes ring load and proud. I have a nice grandfather clock and therefore I don't need the Lava clock. I have taken very good care of the Lava clock and was wondering if you could give me your best estimate on the value of the clock. Thanks

Answer
Sherry:

REQUESTS FOR APPRAISALS

The first statement in my Allexperts personal profile states that I am not a certified appraiser and therefore do not give values of clocks.  On what I consider modern production clocks (WWII and later) there are very few of these clocks that have any available history of values, and a significant number of these clocks depreciate from the original selling price with time.  The values of a few limited production and top line models have risen.  Generally, the value of a modern production clock will depend on the original selling price (usually not the retail listed price), the condition of the case and movement, and most importantly, the area in which you are selling the clock, the demand and the economy.  I suggest you check listings for a clock similar to yours in local classified listings, selling venues such as Craigslist and Internet auction sites like eBay.  

I will say that your clock would probably be an Asian 31-day clock.  Most of the Asian clocks are wall clocks.  With the exception of a few much older ones, I have not seen them sell for more than $50.  I did go to eBay and looked under "Lava 31-day clock".  There were no current listings, so I went to "completed listings". One had sold for around $85, but it could be that the seller placed the first bid to set the price. This is a guess and I'm not sure that is true or is allowed by eBay.  One went for $5.50 and another did not sell for the asking price of $92.  This probably isn't great news for you, but this is all I could find.  If you do find someone that really likes it, you get more, given the history of good care.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman