Clocks, Watches/Grandfather Clock out of Sink

Question
Hello as many others, my roughly 25 year old German movement grandfather clock slowed down till it quit working.  I took the movement out, blew it out with air and used a household grade oil on all moving points.

The problem is: now that I put the movement back in, something is out of sink.  As you move the minute hand forward, it never chimes for the quarter hours.  On the hour, it will start the normal routine of chime, but will not stop for 2 or 3 rounds.  Then the "gong" part will gong 1 time, and that is before the chime part is done.

The "one gong" happens only every other hour.  It does not gong the next time, but will on the time after that.  Your advice is appreciated!

Answer
The problems you are having with the movement are symptoms, not the cause. The cause is that it was not properly cleaned & overhauled. You still have residue of old, dried oil present, rough and scored bearings and bearing wear that hasn't been corrected. Trying to make adjustments for the symptoms you are experiencing would not be useful. You need to have the movement professionnally cleaned & overhauled. If it was as simple as compressed air & 3-in-1, no one would need the services of a repairman.

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.