Clocks, Watches/Hermle 451-053 Grandfather Clock

Question
I have a grandfathers clock that I acquired that doesn't run. It has a Hermle 451-053 movement. I saw this answer that you gave and was wondering where the escapement crutch was. The clock looks to be in good shape but when I start the pendulum to one side and leave it go it only runs for a minute or two. Or do you have any other ideas?   Larry

THE FIRST LEVEL IS THE SETUP.  

If a clock movement is in operating condition but not working, I would check the stability of the clock in that it doesn't rock or wobble on the floor.  It should be relatively level.  The level is not critical, as setting the beat (below) will correct for this.  

Next, verify that the weights are hung correctly.  On most clocks the weights vary in weight.  The general rule is that if two weights are equal, the third weight, if it is heavier, goes on the right side (as you face the clock).  If the third weight is lighter, it goes on the left.
Is the pendulum hanging configuration correct?  This means that the suspension spring, hanger, verge and pendulum are all connected properly with nothing broken, especially the suspension spring.  When the pendulum swings, it should be "in beat", meaning that when the pendulum swings you hear an even tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it is uneven, like tick..tock......tick..tock, the clock will probably stop.  Most later model movements have an "auto-beat" mechanism.  The beat can be set by holding the pendulum over to one side next to the case and releasing it.  It will automatically correct itself.  If it does not have this feature, the escapement crutch will have to be slipped manually.  If required, I can give you instructions for that.  I will need the model of the movement.  This can usually be determined by all the information found on the back plate of the movement.  Also check to see if the hands are catching on each other or the dial.  Look at the chime and strike hammers to see if they are all in alignment at the rest position.  Sometimes jammed hammers or the drive mechanisms will stall the clock.

Answer
Larry, the crutch is the arm (part if the verge assembly that comes out of the top back of the clock and connects to the hanger. The hanger is the arm that is approximately 6" long and hangs from the suspension spring.  The pendulum hangs from the hanger. You did not state whether you checked the beat to see if it was even.  If it is not, the crutch should be slipped to obtain the even beat.  Have you check all of the other items listed?  Let me know what you find.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman