Clocks, Watches/key wind clock keeps stopping.

Question
I cannot keep my ten year old key wind clock running.  It usually stops twice a day at one o'clock.  It seems like the hour hand gets stuck and that in turn causes the clock to shut down.  We bought the clock at JC Pennys, model no. 10 so it wasn't REAL expensive but we thought it would last longer than ten years.  Is there something that I can do to repair it myself?

Answer
Hi Mark,

Stopping at near one o'clock says a lot. In the world of "rack and snail" clock movements, if it doesn't strike the 12 then it could get stuck at or before 1. That means it is a striking problem that is stopping the clock.

So the question is: Does the clock strike every hour? You may need to move the hands around and let the clock strike for every hour.

But here's the real deal. If your clock is over 18 years old you really may need a complete overhaul or new movement. This could be more than the clock was worth when you bought it. It may actually be what a new clock is worth now.

Does this clock have sentimental value to you?

If it does then you need to consult with your local clock repairman. Get a free estimate by bringing your clock to a few clock shops. My prices are less than my competitors. It's worth the trip :). Get three estimates. Go with your gut. You will know the right person for the job.

Hope this helps,
Marilyn
The Clocklady
631-816-0431  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti