Clocks, Watches/My lovely clock

My clock photos
My clock photos  
I love clocks and have allways wanted a clock that really makes a real authentic ticking sound!  So I finally found one and got it fixed at the clock shop last month.  I really enjoy the chimes but my roommate does not soo I constantly turned them on and off.  Then I got lazy and I started sticking my hand down by the pendulum up to it which probably wasn't a good idea but their were no parts I feel I could have messed with and their is no evidence on the back.  Also you can see their is no parts under the sound blocker thingy. Anyway now even when it should be chiming instead it makes a louder tick and does nothing this has been going on for a few weeks.  Her is its info.

Name on front: verichrom
Chimes: Westminster on quarter half and hour
Key holes: 3
On the back : tag with instructions and inspected by sticker from harris and mallow products
On gear box :
Franz hermil
no (0) jewels

Also it feels like the higher to key holes are stuck but i suppose that because the chimes aren't working and their unwinding.   So what are some possible problems?  Can you give me an estimate for a repair? Is their an obvious fix I should tell the clock people?  And fourthly since I assume your abit apart of the community of clock workers would you suggest any specific clock shops in washing state (hopefully near to puyallup we are traveling to Leavenworth later so we could make a pit stop)?  Thankyou for considering my delima. Hope you have a great day

Hi Andrew,

I can't have chimes or ticking when I sleep. I see there is no silent lever on the dial. If you just stop the pendulum from now on and set it in the am you will not have much of a problem.

If you turn the hands it should chime unless it is off sync. It should set itself on the hour on the next hour. If it isn't chiming at all you may want to bring it to a chime position and help move those big gears on the back. This may unstick anything that is stuck. Don't push too hard, just try to help it along with a nudge.

By sticking your hand up near the pendulum you may have thrown the clock out of beat. This is when the tick tock sounds like a hip cup rather than a clock beating. A clock goes tick...tock...tick...tock...tick...tock...   A rhythm. A clock that is out of beat goes tick.tock...tick.tock...tick.tock... more like a horse gallop or hic cup. By moving the bottom of the clock to the left or right you will hear a difference in the tick tock of the clock. It sounds off and as you move it it starts to sound more rhythmic. If moving to the left is not good move it to the right.

Usually a clock shop will give a one  year guarantee for repair. Call them and ask if you could bring the clock in so they can see if it's out of beat. If you were there recently it shouldn't be more than $30 for that service.

If you stop the clock at night, just set it to the correct time in the morning. Don't worry about the chimes they will set themselves in an hour.

I'm located on Long Island, New York. Sorry we are a long road trip away from each other.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist